Search This Blog

Friday, August 24, 2012

PSA: Dry Scalps and Head & Shoulders

Can we talk about dry scalps for a second here? I know its not the most glamorous of topics, but this is real life! Having a dry scalp is one of the most uncomfortable and grossest feelings in the world. First of all its gets super itchy, and when you scratch…oh surpriiiise: hey there dandruff! How you been? Haven’t missed you at alll. Since no one wants the be the person with dandruff, awkwardly scratching away in the corner, I thought I’d share what I use for my dry, itchy scalp dilemma.

Head & Shoulders. I  think any formula will do, but I use the dry scalp formula. (I’ve also used the smooth and silky pink label, and it works just fine!)

You’re probably not surprised. And ya yaaa everyone thinks this is for their dads. But it legitimately works! I used this religiously a couple years back when my scalp was really dry and its was amazing. When I made the switch to paraben and sulfate free shampoo/conditioner, I thought I’d phase this one out. I hoped that its replacements would be moisturizing enough. Wrong! Well no, it was fine for a while actually. But recently I’ve been noticing my scalp has been super uncomfortable and itchy. Like, reallly itchy! So of course I did nothing for a couple weeks, hoping that it was just the change in weather and it would go away. Wrong. It definitely didn’t. So a few days ago I went and bought my beloved Head & Shoulders (just the conditioner) and used it after my regular conditioner. Worked like a charm. Already, the itchiness is gone. Those are results people! I can’t rave enough about this.

Now, I know the ingredients list is not top notch. It has two kinds of parabens, and a whole wack of slightly scary sounding chemicals but www.goodguide.com says that only a couple ingredients or of a ‘low health concern.’ Like Zinc Pyrithione, which is the active ingredient. It's apparently restricted for cosmetic use in Japan- fun fact?  Also- it has methylparaben in it. But you know what, fuck it. I do try to go paraben-free, but nothing else I’ve tried has helped my dry scalp. Maybe it was just my recent conditioners have been drying (except for the A'kin which I loved and can no longer find in stores unfortch) but this will just have to do until I find something that can replace it.

So gist of this post..if you have a dry, itchy scalp and aren’t extremely opposed to parabens in your conditioner..go buy yourself some Head & Shoulders!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers