Search This Blog

Monday, July 23, 2012

Battle of the tinted moisturizers for combination skin

Hi everyone, 

lately I have been lusting after both the Laura Mercier oil-free tinted moisturizer and the new(ish) Estee Lauder Invisible Fluid foundation.  I want one of them (realistically I want both of them...and a lake house...).    But given that I am a student about to take on loans for post-grad professional school ($$) I decided to shop my stash and see if I could find something suitable there-in.  
criteria:
(i) light, natural coverage
(ii) light feel
(iii) withstand heat + humidity and the excessively dewy look my skin takes on
(iv) no break outs, please
(v) offer at least spf 15 OR be mixable with my vichy spf 30 sunscreen
(vi) good colour match

Two contenders have emerged from my makeup bag.  
1.  Clinique Almost Makeup Tinted Moisturizer spf 15 in medium
2.  A combo of Vichy Dermablend  Corrective Foundation Fluide in the colour opal (you've seen me use this as a concealer) mixed with my Vichy sunscreen.

Here they are:
contender number 2 vichy dermablend + vichy sunscreen

clinique almost makeup

faceoff


Well, let's talk about the clinique first.  A few things to note:

  • this product has been discontinued by clinique
  • it had a light, natural coverage
  • it did NOT feel light on, it felt OILY as hell. It never dried down.  Couldn't wait to take it off.
  • it did NOT withstand heat + humidity. It looked as oily as it felt.
  • it didn't break me out
  • it does offer spf 15, however its expiry date is rapidly approaching
  • it was a pretty good colour match, though a little dark
Let's next talk about the vichy mix:
  • it is still offered! 
  • it had a light, natural coverage if you work the proportions of foundation to lotion correctly
  • it feels light on the skin. It dries down nicely. Does not feel tacky.  In fact, I can barely feel it on hte skin
  • holds up well to heat and humidity! Good lasting power, doesn't become sticky. Doesn't fade.
  • not sure what the deal is on the spf here, since I ADD spf by mixing it with the foundation.  It's probably not the best for high sun exposure days.
  • excellent colour match
  • WILL flash back in photos (due to the titanium dioxide in the vichy sunscreen)
Here it is on the skin after 5 hours of wear in the hot hot sun:

with flash - and looking super pasty

with flash 

without flash

without flash



The choice here is obvious.  Vichy dermablend + sunscreen seems to be the way to go.  On days when I know I'm going to be in the sun a lot I think I'll stick with a good layer of sunscreen + a dusting of mineral foundation.  This is a nice combination though, and I love it for a base:  it is an excellent canvas for blush and bronzer.

The clinique was a loser for me.  Sadly it was a waste of money!  Back in 2010 when I bought it, I guess.  However, no one need experience this pain again seeing as it's been discontinued.  AVOID AVOID AVOID if you have combo/oily skin and come across it on amazon.  

All-in-all I think this was a good exercise in frugality.  Though I am (deeply) tempted by Estee Lauder invisible fluid makeup and/or Clinique stay matte makeup and/or Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer I think that this vichy blend is great!  I'm impressed and have saved myself the $35 I'd have spent on something new.

cheers everyone,
Clara xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers